TAKE AN ADVENTURE! Want to do something fun? Who doesn’t! Whether you enjoy shopping or being outdoors you should try our Adventure Package.
We start you off with a Steeles Tavern Manor / Alpine Hideaway Cottage insulated tote bag. Inside the bag are 2 water containers, 2 bottles of water, 2 trail mix bars, lunch for 2 voucher at Gerties Country Store, and the “Adventure Ticket”. The ticket provides you with a list of local places to visit. A map of these locations is printed on the back of the ticket.
Here is how the adventure works: (1) visit at least 3 places on the list, (2) take a picture of yourselves having fun visiting these places, and (3) send us the pictures as “proof” that you had fun on your adventure. Even more…….As our introductory offer for trying the package, we will reimburse you $10 (consider it gas money!). So take the adventure and see what our local area has to offer.
- Rockbridge Vineyard – Tasting room located in their red barn is cozy place to stop by for a visit and try some award winning Rockbridge wines. Tasting is complimentary.
- Wade’s Mill – A historic working grist mill that offers stone ground flours, and various grain mixes such as pancakes, waffles and grits. You can purchase Jim and Georgie’s products as well as great kitchenware items in their gift shop.
- Orchardside Yarn Shop and Berry Farm – A neat place to shop for yarns. Carol will help with suggestions and even get you started on your project. When blackberries are in season, you can “pick your own” berries from their blackberry patch. We use the berries in our fruit dishes!
- McCormick’s Farm – Home of Cyrus McCormick, inventor of the grain reaper. Beautiful grounds, small museum, grist mill, and nature trail. Also a nice spot to eat your Gertie’s lunch.
- Peddlers Palace Estate Shop – Located just across the road from the Bed & Breakfast, Jeff has wonderful antique finds!
- Gertie’s Country Store – Gertie will fix you one of her specialty sandwiches. Just use the lunch voucher included in the adventure package. Have lunch inside to experience this local atmosphere or get your lunch to go and have a picnic stop at McCormick Farm or Rockbridge Vineyards.
- Blue Ridge Parkway – Take a drive on the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains and feel that you are close to Heaven! Take in the great views or go on a hike in the many trails the Blue Ridge offers (feeling adventurous yet?). The parkway entrance is located off Route 56 – about 6 miles from Steeles Tavern Manor.
- Crabtree Falls – The highest cascading water fall this side of the Mississippi River. Hike up the side of the falls (1.9 mile hike to the top). Gorgeous views as you climb. Also located off Route 56, about 7 miles past the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance.
- Miss-Ellaneous Country Store Accents – Quaint shop with wonderful country home décor items. It’s the type of store to browse and find unique things and great gifts.
- 3 Seasons Antiques & Unique Treasures – It’s all in the name – open 3 seasons (closed in the winter months), stocked with antiques and unique treasures located in the quaint village of Fairfield! Melinda will greet you at the door and help you find that special something.
- The Quiltery – The crafty, needlework person will love this shop. Or just stop by and browse Maureen’s collection of quilts.
STAY LOCAL – EAT LOCAL – SHOP LOCAL